More adult teeth are lost to gum disease than decay, so good oral hygiene is essential to keeping your gums and teeth healthy. Regular visits to your dental hygienist will help you maintain excellent oral health and also helps you keep your breath fresh. Maintaining good dental hygiene should be a top priority as poor oral health can lead to a deterioration in you overall general health.
At Wayside we have a team of highly trained dental hygienists who can look after your gums, thoroughly clean your teeth and provide Airflow and tooth whitening treatments.
What happens at a dental hygiene appointment?
- remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums
- perform a clean and polish to remove staining on your teeth
- offer tailored advice on how to maintain good oral hygiene and demonstrate techniques for you to use at home
- advise on tooth whitening
- leave you with a fresh, deep clean feel
What are the benefits of hygiene treatments?
Good oral hygiene is key to eliminating gum disease and decay and although this starts at home, it is greatly helped by regular visits to the hygienist. Keeping your gums healthy is important for your general health too.
If you are having orthodontic treatment it can be harder to clean your teeth, so regular visits to the hygienists can help you keep on top of this.
Hygienists can help you maintain brighter, whiter teeth with cleaning and Airflow therapy. They can also provide tooth whitening treatments.
Our hygiene surgeries are equipped with the very latest Airflow technology-the EMS Airflow Prophy Master. Airflow is a treatment that removes plaque, stains and discolouration using a combination of water, compressed air and fine powder particles. It is non-abrasive and minimally invasive and can reach areas where traditional scaling cannot. The water is warmed so it is comfortable for even the most sensitive teeth. It effectively removes and disrupts the damaging biofilm that develop when dental plaque is colonised by bacteria, but without damaging the surface of your tooth. After treatment your teeth look and feel brighter and fresher.
Airflow treatment can be repeated regularly, is suitable for adults and children and for patients with dental implants and fixed orthodontic appliances.
Guided Biofilm Therapy
Guided Biofilm Therapy is a new Swiss innovation which is a treatment following a set protocol when using the EMS Airflow:
- Teeth are disclosed with a dye to make biofilm visible. This enables you and your hygienist to see where all the biofilm is as in its early stages, it can be invisible. You can also see if there are any areas that are being routinely missed during brushing, and instruction can be provided on how to reach these areas.
- Depending on your needs, a combination of up to three cleaning systems is used to gently remove biofilm, staining and deposits. These procedures are so gentle that they can also be used on restored teeth, braces, implants, the tongue and gums.
- A final check is done to ensure all biofilm has been removed.
- You are advised when to re book for another appointment.
- This treatment is highly effective at removing biofilm and other deposits, with the added advantage of being gentle on the teeth and comfortable for you.
At Wayside we use dental lasers in many of our treatments. Dental lasers are a highly effective tool in the treatment of gum disease and our hygienists have completed extensive training so they can use these.
Apart from Harpenden, we have patients visiting us from St Albans and other nearby communities also for their dental hygiene appointments.
It is possible to book an appointment with our hygienists without being referred by a dentist. This also means that you do not have to be a patient of the practice to see one of our hygienists.
Tags: Dental Hygiene, Hygienist Appointments Harpenden, Dental Hygiene St. Albans